Thursday, November 30, 2006

On Choosing Readers

What I'm reading: A Knight's Vengeance by Catherine Kean

What I'm writing: My geek Valentine's Day story.

I've been working on my Valentine's Day short story, which keeps getting longer—but easier to cut after it's all out there, I've found. My characters insist on having their back stories well established, although it doesn't need to end up on the page. Although I'm not sure what the title will be, right now, it's The Socialization of a Geek. (Anyone think that's a clunky title? Is 'Socialization' not a romance fiction word? Let me know.)

At any rate, I'm about 8500 words into the story, and on my way out to take my kids to the airport, I must have clicked one of the hot keys on my keyboard, because the printer whirred and starting spitting out the pages. Since I'd already used the paper (and not from my recycled paper tray, either!) I figured it was a good excuse to ask my husband to give it a first read.

All of a sudden, he comes into my office with one of his 'trying to look mad but laughing' faces and says, "What's wrong with giving someone an electronic tire gauge for Valentine's Day?"

Guess I drew that character quirk from a little too close to home. In his defense, the tire gauge accompanied roses and chocolates.

Maybe I need to get one of these:

One takes ones story ideas where one finds them. Just be careful who you ask to read it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm bad at titles, too. I'm really bad at titles when jet-lagged. :)

Unknown said...

Your husband sounds like mine lol It's always interesting to see what he comes up with, especially at Christmas ! I have to kind of agree with the title not being romantic. A good title but maybe not for this one *wink

Terry Odell said...

Titles, I think, are the bane of my writing existence. I am still working on "Book 5."

I thought the publisher would change Finding Sarah into something more 'mystery/suspense' but it didn't happen. Luckily, the cover helps convey the mood.

Maybe the editor at Wild Rose Press will help with a title for my de-geeking the geek story. But that implies there's something wrong with being a geek, which isn't the case.

Did I mention I hate titles!

Teresa said...

The most unromantic Valentine's Day present I have seen given was a canopener. It was kind of funny. My brother came in from work and handed Mother a can openner and said Happy Valentine's Day. I don't think it was a present just that we needed a can openner.