Friday, March 28, 2008

Progress

What I'm Reading: Texas Baby by Kathleen O'Brien

What I'm working on: Revisions, Unexpected Danger.

I leave in a few hours for the Southern Lights Conference. The Powerpoint is loaded on my flash drive and my laptop; I have the handouts packed. I even have a good idea of what I'm going to say. I have my eBookwise loaded with some new books. I'm looking forward to seeing Suzanne Brockmann again, and one of my publishers will be there as well.

I sent "Redshirted" off. As I put the SASE in the packet, deja vu washed over me. I don't miss the turmoil of waiting for the mail each day -- will I get one of my SASE's? Do I want one, because it might be a rejection? No response means things are still out there. If I do get one, there's the heart-pounding anticipation when I open it. Good news? Bad news? Since I signed with an agent, submissions became her worry. But because this is a short story, I'm on my own. According to the publisher's website, response time is 3 months, so I'll do my best to forget I even mailed the story.

I wrote the scene my agent wanted to see for Dalton. It's off to my critique partners for comments, and to my army contact for corrections on the combat stuff.

I'm looking forward to a weekend spent with writers. I always come home invigorated, ready to tackle a new project. And now that I'm on the home stretch with my current manuscript, I'm ready to start the next one.

2 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

I can relate to the mail thing;-) The story is good and I'm confident they'll accept it. Expanding your readership is always good.

Katie Reus said...

Good luck at the conference this weekend! Wish I could be there :)