Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Read and Help a Cause

What I'm reading: Dirty Harriet Rides Again by Miriam Auerbach

My idea of exercise is thirty minutes on a recumbent bike with iTunes in my ears and a book in my hands. My daughter is involved with Team in Training, a fundraising effort for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I applaud her efforts, especially since she participates in half-ironman triathlons. I was impressed last year when she completed the race, but what amazes me is that she's going to do it AGAIN, and as a trainer as well.

In support, I (of course) donate to the cause. This year, in addition to my normal donation, I'm going to kick in additional funds for every one of my books and short stories sold between now and May 1st, and I'm inviting you to help. If you email me copies of your order confirmations from any source—the publisher, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Fictionwise – doesn't matter. I'll add $1.00 for every novel and fifty cents for every short story sold during this timeframe. This is your chance to enjoy a good read and help a good cause.

Note: This is a personal donation and in no way represents an endorsement from my publishers.

More on my website

Here's some information from my daughter:

For the last two years I trained with Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and try new things - first the 5430 Sprint race in 2006 and then the 5430 Long Course half ironman in 2007. This year I have the wonderful opportunity to be back with Team in Training, except this year I have the role of a coach! I am so excited to help others achieve personal goals and support such a great cause. Because I believe in the mission of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I have also decided to fundraise. I will also be training to participate in the Olympic distance race - the Loveland Lake to Lake triathlon on June 28th.

The TNT team and I are raising funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives. I'm completing this event in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers. Last year I raced in honor of my great aunt Margie, who succumbed to the effects of multiple myeloma. Seeing her name on the wrist band I wore throughout my race really pushed me through the tough times. (Imaging swimming for about 45 minutes, then going on a 3+ hour bike ride in the middle of summer, and then deciding, when the sun was nearing its high point, to go and run 13.1 miles on an exposed dirt road.) Sound a little tough? It was, but I don't think it is at all tougher than going through cancer treatment. The ones affected by blood cancer are the real heroes on our team, and we need your support to cross the ultimate finish line - a cure!

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The society was founded in 1949 and works to fund blood cancer research, patient financial aid, patient services, public and professional education, and community services. Blood cancers are leukemia, lymphomas (both Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin) and myeloma. An example of the successes of research into these cancers is astounding. Forty years ago, only five percent of children diagnosed with leukemia survived. Today, 89% of children diagnosed with leukemia will survive. The next step will be to find a cure!

http://www.lls.org
http://www.teamintraining.org
http://bananadeath.blogspot.com

No comments: