Thursday, September 03, 2009

St. Augustine, Florida

This morning, I took a walk on the beach, since it wasn't too hot or raining--yet. I brought both my camera and cell phone. Things I learned:



In the sun, you can't see the screen on the phone, so it's impossible to do more than guess what picture you're taking.I used mobile blogger to post one, but I've downloaded the ones from my camera to my laptop, so they'll be included at the end of this post.

Digital cameras are slow to take pictures (at least my little point and shoot). Not good for scurrying shore birds. Since I have a history with film and decent Nikons, it's still a struggle not to be able to get the shot immediately. Maybe there's some setting I can tweak, but anytime I try to do anything with the camera, it ends up in movie mode.

It's also frog season according to all the croaking sounds coming from the pond behind the hotel.

Keep Reading...

And ... I was wearing my "Careful or you'll end up in my novel" t-shirt, and a couple asked if I was really a writer, or just wearing the shirt for fun. I confessed that I was, indeed, a writer, and got the usual question ... "Have I heard of you?"

But after we chatted for a bit, they expressed interest and actually bought a copy of When Danger Calls. They asked if I would get credit for the sale, and were surprised to learn that authors don't get boxes of their books, and that I actually had to pay for the ones I have.

And, the last thing I "learned" which was more of an 'oh, yeah, I remember that' moment: What happens to my hair when I go out in the humidity and wind.

I worked for most of the day on my mystery. Tomorrow, I hope to move forward. This evening it's off to Marineland for a reception for the meeting participants (where I get to tag along).











5 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

Stunning photo at the top of your post, Terry. I actually felt a moment of nostalgia for morning strolls on the beach, enough humidity to keep my hair soft, and skin that doesn't require tons of lotion to keep it from cracking.

These are my favorite kinds of posts to read. I felt a part of your day, understood the problems of switching from film to digital cameras, and chuckled over the folk who thought we receive boxes of free books to pass out. I've come across that reaction many times.

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Patricia -

For some unknown reason, today Blogger says it doesn't recognize my mobile carrier, although it did yesterday. I give up with all this technology.

However, some of the pictures I took this morning DID make it to my Facebook profile with their mobile upload system.

Sheila Deeth said...

I'm glad it's not just me that wishes the digital camera would take the picture before the bird flew off. But you've got some lovely pictures there. Good luck with the writing.

Rita said...

Terry,
You live in St Augustine?
I live at the beach
Rita

Terry Odell said...

No, Rita -- we're just here because hubby has a meeting, and I wanted to get away and write.