Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday - Kale Salad with Asian Dressing

What I'm reading: Contest Entry 2 of 4

First, I was hit with a bunch of interview questions for Candice Coghill's blog. Hop over and see if you learn anything new. (And leave a comment if you have a moment.)

On to the recipe of the week: My mom made a yummy kale salad while we visited her in Los Angeles prior to the LA Marathon. I replicated it, more or less, when I got home, and added shrimp to make it a main dish. It's one of those "anything goes" recipes.

Kale Salad with Shrimp and Asian Dressing


Salad
No rules here; use as much as you like, add other favorites or delete things you don't like. For most of the ingredients, I'd ballpark about 8 ounces. Depends on how many people you're feeding, and what you like.


1 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped. (Would work with any greens.)
Frozen shelled edamame (soy beans), cooked per package directions & cooled.
Dried cherries (or craisins, blueberries, cranberries)
Slivered almonds
Cherry tomatoes, halved
1-2 T toasted sesame seeds
Frozen salad-sized shrimp, thawed and drained well. (for a side-dish salad, you can leave this out)

Asian Dressing (this will make more than you need; save the rest for other salads.)

1/4 c soy sauce
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. sesame oil
1 T honey
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t dried ginger (or 1 t fresh, grated)
1/4 c salad oil.
Salt, pepper to taste.

Mix everything together.

Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

3 comments:

DonnaGalanti said...

This sounds yummy! I love Kale, my mom always cooked it up with other greens in chicken broth and garlic. This one sounds like a good summer dish.

Karen C said...

I would never have thought of using Kale in a salad, but this sounds pretty good. Always looking for something different.

Terry Odell said...

Donna - it's good in the spring, too!

Karen - I'd never had kale before, but my formerly "if it's green, I won't eat it" daughter has changed her eating habits since she's become a triathlete, and she suggested kale when my mom asked her what she'd like to eat on our visit.